“Granite has a long, proud history of building infrastructure with honesty, integrity, and a keen awareness that what we build impacts generations to come,” said Granite President and Chief Executive Officer James H. Roberts. “We made progress on our 2020 Sustainability Objectives this year and built a stronger foundation to evolve our approach to sustainability.”
Sustainability is Granite’s strategic approach to managing business with the future in mind by integrating values of dependable governance, social responsibility, environmental stewardship, and sustainable economics into our operations.
“Our stakeholders are welcome partners in this journey, so we engaged them directly in our first sustainability materiality assessment to learn more about their perspectives on Granite’s impacts and priorities for improvement on environmental, social, and governance (ESG) issues,” explained Raven Adams, Granite’s sustainability specialist.
In addition to providing progress on environmental, social, governance, and economic initiatives, the progress report also reviews the company’s efforts in key areas, including safety, diversity and inclusion, community involvement, employee engagement, ethics and compliance, and infrastructure investment.
Highlights from the 2019 progress report include:
- Recognition by the Ethisphere® Institute as one of the World’s Most Ethical Companies® for the 11th year in a row
- Lowest Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) incident rate in the company’s history, with total injuries down by 23 percent from 2018
- Acknowledgment as a Great Place to Work® and considered a great workplace by 84 percent of surveyed employees
- Diamond Achievement Sustainable Commendations from the National Asphalt Paving Association (
NAPA) received by 23 asphalt plants
- Diversion of 1.02 million tons of waste from landfills by using recycled content in asphalt production
- Completion of 78 continuous improvement projects
- An average client satisfaction score of 4.3 (out of 5.0)
- 26 projects honored with
NAPAQuality in Construction Awards in 2019
Granite is America’s Infrastructure Company™. Incorporated since 1922, Granite (NYSE:GVA) is one of the largest diversified construction and construction materials companies in
Erin Kuhlman 831-468-4111
Lisa Curtis 831-728-7532